This post may contain affiliate links or sponsored ads which means I may earn a commission for products purchased. Please read my disclaimer page for more info. https://www.hodgepodgehippie.com/disclaimer/
Being the parent, I always assume I’m just supposed to be the “teacher”. The one who makes certain that I educate our girls, lead them down the road of understanding and being the good in the world and teaching them life-lessons along the way.
Well, isn’t life funny?
I’ve been a mom now for almost 10 amazing years. I’ve laughed, cried, second-guessed myself, held firm in my beliefs, drank wine at noon some days and hid in the closet to have a cookie all to myself with having to share. We’ve all been there, right? And I’ve loved every second. Every decision I’ve made, I’ve questioned; Every lesson I’ve taught, I’ve wondered of the life-long impact it is going to have on them and their lives.
However, lately, I’ve realized that my life is like the movie “The Karate Kid”, when the student becomes the teacher type-thing. My 5-year-old daughter, without her even knowing or trying, has taught me some of the most valuable lessons in life. In no particular order, she’s taught me:
- Always keep smiling – Now, our little girl can smile. She has the biggest heart, the biggest smile and giant brown eyes that will melt your soul. See for yourself.
Don’t lie…you want 15 cats right now, don’t you?
No matter what her day holds, she just smiles and smiles. Seriously, nothing can stop this girl and her happiness.
2. You gotta fight for your right! – For now, this doesn’t mean for her to party (maybe in a few years….:-/), but it means that she knows what she wants, and she stands up for that. And I admire that.
3. Stop eating when you are full – What a concept. For real. I have been alive for 33 years, and I still haven’t mastered this and she has it down before the age of 6? Awesome. I mean, she is good. She says no to dessert even!! Who does that??!!! There is always room for pie, right?
4. Give to others without wanting anything in return – Ya know the term, “Would give someone the shirt off her back”? Well, that was written about her. Her toy from Christmas? Given to her sissy. The last bite of her donut? Offered to Mommy. The last drink from her v8? Here ya go Daddy! and never a hesitation. We all need to be more like that.
Related Post: HodgePodge Hippie Husband Hacks
5. Love with your whole heart – From the moment she was born, I’ve known she was amazing. She loves with every being of her body. Her hugs are genuine, her “I love you’s” are true and ALWAYS come at a time when you truly need to hear it. She walks up to people and just hugs them. That is how she actually prefers to say hello and welcome somebody, and I’ve seen it first hand so many times – but when she does that, it actually melts people. Like, you can see them physically go through the phases of being surprised, then a little uncomfortable and then, that melts away and they go to pure happiness. She has a way to make people happy – what a gift.
I know I’ve only talked about 5 ways, but my list could honestly go on and on. Every day, I learn something new. It helps me reset my brain, see the good in the world and filter out all the bad crap that seems to be going on. She is my saver of sanity.
I think we could all use a little refresher on the basic things in life from our children. They have such an innocence and simplicity about them that it really helps in zoning in and focusing on the truly simple pleasures of life.
What life lessons have you learned from your littles?