This post may contain affiliate links or sponsored ads which means I may earn a commission for products purchased. Please read my disclaimer page for more info. https://www.hodgepodgehippie.com/disclaimer/
First….admit it…you were singing the song, right??!!!! 🙂 But truthfully, haven’t we all thought this? What would our lives be like if we knew then, what we know now? How different would things be if I could turn back time? What would I tell my former self to prepare me for life? So many things….don’t eat yellow snow…don’t cook an avocado on the BBQ grill (seriously, just don’t)…always check that your skirt isn’t tucked into your underwear when leaving the bathroom…make certain to put your car in park before hopping out…don’t watch the movie Sharknado….don’t try to pierce your own belly-button….the list could go on and on!
But, what practical things would I want to tell my formal self? What everyday advice would I pass on?
- Life is so short, live it up. (I’m still in shock that I”m 33. Seriously. and I puked in my mouth a little bit even writing that sentence. 33?! I don’t even remember flying through my 20’s. What I can recall is all the time when I was younger just wishing that I was older..wishing my life away, my time away.)
- Travel while you’re young. I never took advantage of this. Where I’d travel, I don’t know…but I would have traveled more. Tried some calamari on the coast, rode the waves at the beach, flew to Mexico to soak up the sun…but as we get older, life happens and unfortunately, the trips don’t. When responsibility is low on the radar, traveling needs to be high on the priority list.
- Always be true to you. Seems easy, right? But sadly, I’ve been many versions of “myself” throughout my years, with some outcomes not pleasant. Just be yourself. Laugh loud, snort, make crazy eyes, do whatever odd thing you do..and just be you. Embrace it.
- A job is a job is a job. There will always be a job, right? Maybe not the most glamorous…or fun, but it will be a job that will be able to pay the bills. Don’t choose work over life, over family and over your inner peace and happiness. Again, circle back to #1- life is so short.
- Don’t let anyone bring you down. Haters gonna hate. Period.
- Eat your dessert whenever the heck you wanna eat it. First, last, intermittently throughout? Go for it.
- Put down your phone. Make eye contact with those trying to connect with you. Be respectful.
- Say it like you mean it. ( Ha, I love this. I do this all the time to random questions that I absolutely, without a doubt, DO NOT know the answer to, but I say it like I know it, and it’s amazing how many people trust that. )
- Truly follow the golden rule of life: Treat others as you would want to be treated.
- Open your heart, love big. There is more than enough love to go around. Don’t limit it, share it. Hug it out, embrace one another – show those who matter to you that you care.
Related Post: 5 Life Lessons I’ve Learned from my 5-Year-Old
These seem so simple right? Sadly, I didn’t really learn a lot of these until I was older…and I work daily on incorporating each and every one of them. It does take work, it isn’t easy, but it is doable.
What would you tell your younger self if you had the chance?